The following pages have been updated for fall 2017:
The readings are 90 percent set. I might swap out one or two of the previous reading assignments and replace it, or them, with new readings. That will be decided before our first class meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 23. You can see last year’s readings. When the readings are all set, I’ll upload a new PDF.
Students will have an assignment due on Monday, Aug. 28, so it’s important to come to the first class and get the details.
Topics in this course:
- Activism (especially online)
- Algorithms in everyday life
- Democratic rights and freedoms
- Foreign policy (public diplomacy)
- Hackers/digital piracy
- Mobile Internet
- Privacy (Facebook, Google)
- Remix/copyright (creative works)
- Surveillance (by governments)
- Twitter as a public forum / #blacklivesmatter
- Viral media